Investing in the best growing bags for tomatoes is vital because it influences your tomato production. Growing tomatoes in bags is an activity that is rapidly becoming popular. People with little gardens choose tomato grow bags since they enable them to utilize their small spaces. However, finding the best growing bags for tomatoes requires research. An ideal tomato grow bag should help you plant this vegetable in a small area while reducing the chances of disease infestation.
What are the best growing bags for Tomatoes?
The best tomatoes growing bags are at least 38cm or 15 inches in diameter and around 30cm or 12 inches deep. And this means you should get a 10-gallon or bigger for each tomato plant. Luckily, you can quickly find the best growing bags for tomatoes Amazon users recommend the most. Mostly, these grow bags come in packs of twelve, 10-gallon bags at a reasonable price.
A tomato grow bag is a pot made of fabric gardeners use to grow this plant. Tomatoes are bag-friendly vegetables, making them ideal for growing in grow bags. Besides tomatoes, people can plant other vegetables and flowers in grow bags. But you should find the best flowers for growing bags before taking this route.
Remember, only some flowers or vegetables can do well in grow bags. Therefore, know the vegetables or flowers that can grow in growing bags before investing in this product. Also, you can find hanging grow bags for tomatoes in the current market. Hanging growing bags helps you utilize the available space in your garden fully.
Why Use Grow Bags for Tomatoes?
Having read the intro part of this article, you’re no longer asking, “are growing bags good for tomatoes?” Planting tomatoes in grow bags is beneficial in several ways. They include the following:
- Grow bags are easy to use
- Grow bags are portable, allowing gardeners to move them around the garden
- Tomato grow bags prevent over-watering the plants as excess water leaks through them
- Grow bags are cheaper than raised beds which require costly materials to create
- Grow bags enable gardeners to grow tomatoes in tight spaces, including driveways
- Planting tomatoes in grow bags can help prevent some diseases
These benefits of growing tomatoes in grow bags are why their popularity is increasing significantly. However, you need the best growing bags for tomatoes to increase yield and enjoy the entire production process. That’s why Gardenterprise reviews the best growing bags for tomatoes.
Reviews of the 7 Best growing Bags for Tomatoes
The current market has numerous tomatoes grow bags. However, not all of them meet the best quality standards. Therefore, we review the best-in-class grow bags farmers can use to grow their tomatoes.
1. Non-Woven Grow Bags
Non-woven Grow Bags have a heavy-duty and durable 300-gram non-woven fabric. This attribute alone makes these products feature among the best growing bags for tomatoes. These bags measure 23 centimeters high and 30 centimeters deep and have a capacity of 5 gallons (17.7 liters). Additionally, Non-Woven Grow Bags are eco-friendly grow bags for tomatoes.
- Easy to clean, fold, and store
- They can last for up to 8 years
- They have an excellent drainage
- They have reinforced nylon handles, making them easy to move
- They are tear and wear resistant
- They are durable
- They are water consumptive
- They are not as pretty or chic as a ceramic bag
2. VIVOSUN Grow Bags
The VIVOSUN Grow Bag is by VIVOSUN and consists of fifty pots. Therefore, it’s the best money-saving option for a gardener that wants to grow tomatoes in a limited garden space. It weighs 3.05 pounds and can hold 20 gallons. The manufacturer makes these grow bags using a non-woven fabric. Each bag has a thick texture, making it feature among the best growing bags for tomatoes.
- It offers good value for money
- It has a minimalist design
- It has an adequate drainage
- It has a UV- reflective material
- It lacks handles
- It loses shape when moving
3. Smart Pots 12050
Smart Pots 12050 is a soft-sided fabric container for growing tomatoes. However, the fabric is lightweight and BPA-free. Hence, gardeners can use it for organic gardening and growing food crops. The fabric is breathable to keep the roots cool, creating a healthy root system.
- It has a fair price
- It’s easy to set up
- It ensures proper aeration
- It provides for air pruning
- It reflects UV light
- It’s highly customizable
- It prevents over-watering
- It has a sloppy look
4. WINNER OUTFITTERS
Winner Outfitters are more versatile, offering a wide range of affordable outdoor products. Their grow bag comes in six 10-gallon sizes and weighs 1.5 pounds. The manufacturer of Winner Outfitters sews it from one fabric, ensuring it is durable. Also, their grow bag can keep plants warm in winter and cool in summer.
Gardeners can keep the tomato roots safe from freezing in the cold due to the thick non-woven fabric of this tomato grow bag. Moreover, there are four sizes of Winner-Outfitters grow bags for gardeners to choose from when looking for the best growing bags for tomatoes.
What size grow bag for cherry tomatoes do I need? Each determinate or patio-type tomato requires a 5 to 10-gallon fabric bag. However, larger indeterminate tomatoes perform better in larger containers. But miniature cherry tomatoes will do well in 2 to 3-gallon fabric grow bags. Here are the pros and cons of Winner Outfitters tomato grow bags.
- The grow bags have double handles for better balance
- They have a 100% BPA-free material
- They have a warming and cooling element
- They drain well
- The grow bags can’t hold too much weight
5. Opulent Systems
Opulent Systems grow bags are 5-pack fabric containers with premium material. Hence, they are also the best growing bags for tomatoes.Currently, eight Opulent Systems grow bags are available on the market. Therefore, you can choose the grow bag size for tomatoes according to your gardening needs. The manufacturer sews these tomato growing bags with precision and uses quality material to ensure their durability.
- These grow bags have built-in sturdy handles
- They are easy to wash
- They have excellent drainage capabilities
- They have a non-woven breathable fabric
- They are not ideal for arid climate
- They are not aesthetically pleasing
6. Adorama Grow Bags
The Adorama grow bags have a high-quality 300g thick non-woven fabric. This premium, non-breathable material ensures slow drainage, providing an ideal growing environment for tomatoes. Since they are reusable, they feature among the best growing bags for tomatoes because gardeners can use them severally.
- You can use them for up to three years
- They have sturdy handles
- They have a 300 grams thick non-woven fabric
- They have slow water drainage, allowing the soil to retain nutrients
7. Garden4Ever Grow Bag
The Garden4ever grow bag is ideal for gardeners that want to grow potatoes indoors or outdoors. It’s a versatile growing bag since you can use it differently. Hence, it’s among thebest growing bag for tomatoes. Garden4ever uses a growth-friendly material to make this grow bag, allowing faster and better plant development.
- It’s easily washable and reusable
- It’s an excellent choice for kitchen gardens
- It helps prevent circling roots build-up
- It provides an ample capacity
- Its green threads look frayed
- It’s not aesthetically pleasing
What to Consider when Looking for Tomatoes Grow Bags
It’s wise to consider several factors to buy the best growing bags for tomatoes. Here are things to look for when purchasing your tomatoes grow bags:
- Fabric: The best fabric grow bag for tomatoes allows roots to receive the air they need to develop. A breathable material is ideal for tomatoes grow bags.
- Size: There are multiple options to consider when looking for the best grow bag size for tomatoes. However, purchase tomatoes grow bag that best suits your needs, including your garden size and the number of plants you want to grow.
- Storage: After using the grow bag, you want to store it for the next season. Therefore, the best growing bags for tomatoes must be easy to store. Also, they are easy to wash and dry.
- Durability: The best tomato growing bags are not prone to tear and wear. Also, they have well-stitched handles that let you move the loads without damaging them.
Consider these factors to buy the best growing bags for tomatoes. However, choose tomato growing bags from a manufacturer with a reputation for producing quality grow bags for tomatoes.
Tips for Growing Tomatoes in Grow Bags
Once you decide to grow tomatoes in growing bags, choose the right variety. There are two main tomato varieties, determinate and indeterminate. Determinate tomatoes grow more like a bush, while indeterminate tomatoes don’t. So, if you prefer growing indeterminate tomatoes in grow bags,go for products that manufacturers make specifically for them. Similarly, choose the best grow bags for determinate tomatoes if that’s your preferred option. If you’re handy, you can make your tomato grow bags.
After choosing your tomato variety, ensure your garden receives adequate sunlight. That’s because tomatoes require sufficient direct sunlight when growing in grow bags to achieve proper growth and prolific fruit production.
If you plant cherry tomatoes in grow bags, use compost and water the plants well. Tomatoes are heavy feeders, especially when they start fruiting. Therefore, apply a fertilizer frequently and water them regularly since potting soil is light and drains well.
Also, prune the suckers weekly since some tomato varieties can thrive without pruning. Finally, buy the best growing bags for tomatoes to maximize your yields. After that, get the best soil for the tomatoes in grow bags. And this is vital because not all soil types can help you achieve high yields from your tomatoes.
The best growing bags for tomatoes provides a simple, inexpensive way to grow this plant in a small space. And you can find the best growing bags for tomatoes in local and online stores. Nevertheless, follow the above tips for growing tomatoes in grow bags to maximize yield.
Which grow bag is best for tomatoes?
The best growing bags for tomatoes are at least 38cm or 15 inches in diameter and 30cm or 12 inches deep. Several brands produce grow bags for tomatoes. Therefore, considering handles, material, and size is vital when looking for the best grow bag for tomatoes.
Are tomatoes growing bags any good?
Yes. Tomatoes do well in growing bags. However, choose the right grow bags for your tomatoes. For instance, choose large grow bags for tomatoes if you want to plant several stems. Ideally, find the best size grow bags for tomatoes for your crop to grow well. Also, ensure your tomatoes receive adequate sunshine and water them regularly.
Can I use grow bags for tomatoes?
Yes. You can use the best growing bags for tomatoes to produce this fruit or vegetable. Grow bags help you plant tomatoes in a kitchen garden conveniently and neatly. However, using grow bags for tomatoes slightly differs from growing them in the ground or pots. Therefore, understand how growing tomatoes in grow bags works before starting.
Are tomatoes better growing in pots or grow bags?
Grow bags are better for growing tomatoes than pots. That’s because, besides being heavy, pots are expensive and breakable. Also, they drain poorly, and they can bake in the heat. Hence, they can fry your tomatoes. On the other hand, grow bags use air pruning to ensure a healthy root system for tomatoes. Thus, grow bags are way better than pots when growing tomatoes.
How many tomatoes can I grow in a 5-gallon bag?
Different tomato varieties have varying spacing. However, you can plant up to 3 tomato plants in a 5-gallon bag. A 5-gallon bucket can accommodate one tomato plant only, whether you choose a determinate or indeterminate tomato variety. Nevertheless, the best growing bags for tomatoes come with instructions on the number of tomatoes to grow.